Wednesday, November 19, 2008

School













Most days we do school. Maybe the best question I ask myself is, what appetites do I want my kids to have? Not everything we like is good, and many good things are not yummy at first blush. My momma has a quote in her office, "Feed what you want to grow stronger."

If only self-discipline could be setting our appetites free. How do we teach kids to point desire in the right direction? How wonderful to actually want the very thing they should do. Is there a moment when we learn to grow the good, the honorable, and starve off, shrink down the wicked?

Taste and see that the LORD is good. I suppose, maybe, then we gain an appetite for him.

3 comments:

  1. Such a good way to look at self-discipline. I am so glad my children have you as an influence in their lives!

    Your mama is one wise woman too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE the attitude you have about influencing your kids. You are so passionate about it. I only hope I can carry the same spark you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that this is addresses what you are talking about but the other quote I have on my computer is: "If we take care of the depth of out devotion, God will take care of the breadth of our ministry.: (J. Courson). Perhaps appetite is a fruit, the fruit of obedience......(?)

    ReplyDelete