Thursday, November 20, 2008

Goliath














The other night Janie said her prayers, and out of the blue, "God, help Momma to be strong and courageous and not be afraid at Lulu's doctor appointment."

This afternoon I confessed, yes, I was afraid. "Mom, let me pray for you," and all the confidence and courage of four years old, she prayed. She included part of David's address to Goliath before nailing him with the sling-shot. Shoulders back, legs slightly apart, she was poised for victory, her stance straight and fresh as a blade of grass.

Before we left, I told her, watch what I do when I am afraid, how I still smile, and take care of you kids, how I say, "Hi," to our doctor and visit with him, how I still do the right things I know to do. I want her to understand that we turn and face fear, that courage is strength when we are afraid.

Fear reminds us that now is the moment of courage.

4 comments:

  1. Emma and Lucy will be strong women with a mother like you.
    You are a good example - and an honest one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PREEEEECISELY. Stand a little taller, step a little closer. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is inspiring me to be the bravest, kindest person I can be! You're a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing these lessons and reflections you have to your every day experiences with your children. I bet it melted your heart to hear Janie ask to pray for you - I think I would have cried. You are passing on a great heritage.

    ReplyDelete