Thursday, April 23, 2009

Just a Grain of Rice
























What to do in these perilous times? How do I explain to a pressing four-year-old that our president would let me kill a baby in my tummy? He says its OK. Jane keeps asking, "Do you think Obama will come to our house?" Eyes wide, she wants to know will Daddy protect Lucy from Obama? It's all so literal for her. Lucy is still a BABY! HELP!! And after all isn't she?

My first pregnancy I miscarried. Sorrow upon alum sorrow. The second was Jane. Six weeks old and grain-of-rice-size, even so, I watched her tiny heart pulse. ALIVE. The inexplicable spark of life had happened right there inside of me before I even knew. Every nuance of Jane written out in complex codes of DNA snapped into place and pulse-pulse-pulse. The unique imprint of soul already authored by God was right there, beating. How terrifying, God gave me a life?!

Can it really be that we devote an entire industry to snuffing this life out? No matter how efficient, noninvasive, and quickly done, I will always see a tiny freckle in my womb beating away, fierce with life. Jane will see Lucy.


God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.

~Thomas Jefferson

(excerpts are inscribed on the walls of the Jefferson Memorial in the nation's capital) [Source: Merrill . D. Peterson, ed., Jefferson Writings, (New York: Literary Classics of the United States, Inc., 1984), Vol. IV, p. 289. From Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XVIII, 1781.]

6 comments:

  1. And so we take a stand. With Emma Jane and Lucy and Jack and the lil one we will meet in heaven.

    Live like it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, friend. This one should be forwarded on to the White House.

    Thanks for sharing your heart. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your readers also might want to check out citzenlink.com and ask our lawmakers to support the freedom of conscience so doctors won't be forced to perform abortions...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not the half of it! Now there is talk of adopting the international treaty that would make it criminal to EVER spank your child. If this treaty is approved by Congress it will be the law of the WORLD. We all need to take a stand with our legislators and tell them we are WATCHING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So powerful!

    When I think of abortion, my thoughts always end up in one place, "How can this BE?" How can a civilized people think that this is OK? How can a mother once "choose" to end this life (or to delude herself that it's not life at all), and then a year or two later watch anxiously as the ultrasound tech looks for the first signs of a wanted child?

    And what of the voices of the women who have done this? Either publicly or privately, I've come across so many women who have had abortions and they admit...it was a terrible mistake. It was something they felt they needed forgiveness for. What about them? Why are we not LISTENING to them?

    Ack. It just makes my stomach turn. All those precious babes. Those soft cheeks. Those innocent eyes. Those sweet smelling heads. Those pudgy little fingers.

    There are some things that just are not okay to make a "choice" about.

    And what really pisses me off (pardon the language, but given the topic, be thankful that I hold my tongue as much as I do)...they are using MY money to enable women to more conveniently make this "choice". Makes me want to stand up as a conscientious objector and proclaim, "I WILL NOT PAY TAXES if this is what it is used for".

    If someone wants to support the cause, let it be a private donation. And let them explain themselves to the giver of life one day.

    Rrrrrr. I am Mama -hear me roar!

    I don't care if it's politically correct to be angry about this one - some things just don't deserve a PC conversation because they are just WRONG on so many levels.

    This is why I don't blog about this. I can't be calm and reasonable.

    BTW - I just stopped by to say thanks for your sweet comments. You have a gift of encouragement, my sister. I love hearing from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - I just realized that you linked up for STLS - great! Thanks for participating :)

    ReplyDelete