Sunday, October 28, 2018

Bunny

Photo credit: Urban Rose Photo




"I like your bunny," I say. Diagonal on the trundle bed, Betsy stretches, grins and squints her eyes, face blushed with sleep. 

"This bunny eats people," she says, her stretch winding down, now sober eyes blink-blinking.

"No, it doesn't," I say, a perpetual fear of man-eating rodents arched in her eyebrows. She pets guard bunny's flopping ears.

"You can have this," she says. She pauses, lifts bun-bun to me.

"Ohhh," I sigh. 

"Don't pull on the ears," she says. She lays bunny in her lap and strokes the ears, "or they will be broken."

"Uh-huh," I stare, Betsy's pale green eyes round, earnest. She turns bunny and points.

"Because they are tied on. Here. The ears."




Photo credit: Urban Rose Photo




"Oh," I say, "yes."

"Jack made it for me."

Her eyes there, and my hands just reach on their own. She places bunny in them. I smile at the stumpy body, round head, voluminous ears. I stroke the ears and gaze at bunny. 

"And then he rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth," she says. "I love you forever. I like you for always. As long as I'm living my. baby. you'll. be." The words loll into the room. I stare at bunny then at her. 

"Yup," I say. 

"Emma said that to me last night," she says.

"Yup," I say, and in the long moment I recall I've never read that book to Betsy. Not once. Just Emma. And there on the trundle bed, a universe blooms and spills between us, tender affection handed down from Emma, down from Jack, down, down, down to me. There I am holding bunny and the whole entire world in my hand.




Photo credit: Urban Rose Photo

6 comments:

  1. I love you forever. I like you for always. As long as I'm living my. baby. you'll. be.
    From me to you.

    Forever.

    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The never-ending gong of your love reverberates on and on. Love. You.

      Delete
  2. Bethany, your words make of this ole heart a bed of wax, taking impressions: Here, again, the great wheel, where no self-important seam indicates either onset or completion. O, the rolling glory, the simple givenness . . . thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind words are the manna between friends. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Bethany, thank you for sharing the most quiet, most profound moments with us.

    ReplyDelete