Sunday, March 6, 2016

Debate






"I've actually thought of you for debate classes," I say. Taco soup scooped, scraped, and mopped up with bread from bowls, post-dinner lingers on.

"Really?" Jane says.

"Yeah. You're good at seeing all sides of a thing," I say.

"Oh," she says. Sour cream moored on a quilted center piece, glasses empty or half full, cookie bin bloomed open, time slows.







"You have to be able to see both sides and understand the other view as well or better than your own," I say. "And you have to understand why an intelligent person would choose it, but also what the flaws are so you can maximize them."

"Huh," she says. Joe gathers bowls around our elbows, stacks and clears the table.

"It's hard, but," I pause.

"How many easy things are worth while?" she says. "I mean really?"

"So true," I say.

Before we soldier dishes and into the dishwasher, we stop to watch old Reagan debates on youtube. So winsome. Intelligent and winsome. He seems to give value even to his adversaries.






***



"Who's that?" Joe says. Debate night. We congregate at six and take in the current political climate.

"Donald Trump," I say.







"Where's Ben Carson?" he says. He frowns, draws his voice up like a satchel. Three years old and he knows the team players.

"He's not coming," I say.

"Oh," he says, "Trump, there's Trump again. Why'd he come?" he says.

And so the conversations begin. Strategy unfolds, observations link arms until a clear picture emerges. We found our opinions on facts and ethics. Something immovable cures in our souls.









Gratitude:

5792. A hand-me-down cashmere sweater finds it's way to me.

5793. Eye patches.

5794. A new tube of mascara to replace the old flaking one.







5795. The children begin to voice political opinions. I note their unique bents synthesized into their analysis.

5796. I continue to enjoy a new found pleasure: tea. Green tea, chai tea, black tea, English, Irish, Asian, or Indian -- yum.







5797. A little sunshine and I make our first pasta salad of the year. A bit optimistic on the weather but the salad is delicious.

5798. Jack wrestles in a take-down-tournament. His endurance training pays off.

5799. A long week, but a good one, we slide into Sunday night ready for bed.



1 comment:

  1. "'You have to be able to see both sides and understand the other view as well or better than your own,' I say. 'And you have to understand why an intelligent person would choose it...'" I just want to pause and give a round of applause for this statement. Yes, we find the flaws but only after this. This is listening without being afraid. Something I want to think more about. Do more....

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete